REPORTS TO: Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner and/or Psychiatrist
RESPONSIBILITIES: Provides nursing care for clinic patients. Responsible for administering direct and indirect delivery of patient care management based on scientific principals and based on established policies and procedures of the office. Completes administrative duties as required. Performs clinical procedures as directed by the Provider.
1. Is familiar with daily routines of Providers to ensure a productive clinic.
2. Greets everyone promptly and courteously. Escorts patients from the waiting room to the appropriate areas within the office. Identifies the correct patient by name.
3. Ensures all patient documentation has been received and reviewed by Provider to include but not limited to Provider notes and test results.
4. Keeps patients informed of any delays that cause them to wait longer than the time expected.
5. Obtains patient’s chief concern and recent problems and symptoms; patient’s new, continued or stopped medications; accurately obtains patient’s height and weight; and obtains and evaluates patient’s vital signs; enters patient data collected into the electronic medical record system. Follows and performs the supervising Provider’s standing orders.
6. Recognizes and interprets signs and symptoms by continually assessing the patient’s condition, both physically and mentally while assessing patient’s general health and wellness and notifies Provider if condition changes.
7. Prepares patient for exam and assists Provider when needed.
8. Assists in scheduling procedures, tests, x-rays and laboratory studies with the appropriate hospitals or treatment centers through the electronic medical record system. Completes all required paperwork for facility and insurance company. Communicates appointment time, place and pretesting protocol with the patient.
9. Schedules initial and follow-up visits with patients. Assists in scheduling initial and follow-up visits for Child Psychologist.
10. Completes patient forms such as school requirements, Prior Authorization and Patient Assistance.
11. Prepares patient educational material and reviews care plan instructions with patient at each visit to confirm understanding by the patient.
12. Uses electronic medical record system patient-specific alerts, classic alerts and Clinical Decision Support Rule to determine any testing preventive or routine for the patient at each visit. Clinical staff will add alerts as needed.
13. Reviews outgoing referral log daily and weekly to ensure patients have maintained their scheduled appointments. Follows up with patients to ensure missed appointments with Provider are rescheduled and alerts Provider. Reviews daily practice schedule and follows up with patients that have missed regular scheduled appointments.
14. Reviews hospital discharge notes, contacts patient to schedule hospital follow up visit and schedules any testing needed per discharge summary and Provider instruction.
15. Documents medical care information communicated to the patient in the patient’s medical record using correct grammar and punctuation.
16. Establishes open communication by acting as a liaison between patient, family and Provider in a tactful and courteous manner. Engages patients in pursuing their health goals; uses motivational interviewing or other coaching techniques as needed.
17. Adjusts Provider’s schedule as needed to accommodate same day appointments and meet standards.
18. Handles all patient messages promptly and accordingly while obtaining verbal and documented orders by the Provider. Documents any advice given to the patient within the medical record system. Uses correct grammar, punctuation and capitalization when documenting in a patient’s medical record and timestamps all message responses and reviewed documents in the patient’s electronic record. Messages should be reviewed timely with a goal response time of an hour.
19. Receives test and procedure results and submits daily for Provider to review as appropriate. Ensures all orders have appropriate test results attached within the medical record. Tests performed outside the medical practice should be entered into the patient’s record with dates and results attached. Patient orders must have test results attached.
20. Ensures that Provider’s office and assessment room are clean, orderly, and stocked at all times, and that related medical equipment is clean, sterile and properly stored.
21. Orders medical supplies and medication according to office policy.
22. Instructs, guides and assists other team members in rendering patient care.
23. Participates in orientation of new team members by helping to make them feel comfortable and aware of office policies and procedures.
24. Maintains continuing education by use of journals, conferences, seminars and further education as available. Must maintain CNA certification.
25. Works extra if needed to meet the needs of the patient and office.
26. Handles phone calls and messages from patients and notifies Provider.
27. Performs any additional duties as requested by the Provider.
EDUCATION: High school graduate or equivalent with certification as CNA (minimum) preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Two or more years’ experience working in a business office or medical clinic setting preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS: Must be able to remain calm and patient when working with patients of diverse ages, disabilities and circumstances. Must remain professional and non-judgmental at all times. Requires full range body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination. Requires sitting, standing, walking and repetitive keying for extensive periods of time. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 100 pounds. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Requires working under stressful conditions or working irregular hours. Requires exposure to communicable diseases or body fluids. Must have strong attention to detail. Occasional bending and stooping required.
HOURS: Initially this position will be part-time (25 hours/week). Monday – Wednesday: 3 hrs/day, flexible; Thursday: noon – 8pm, Friday: 8am – 5pm.
To apply, please send a resume to email@example.com, fax to 706-256-3670, or mail to Human Resources, Pastoral Institute, 2022 15th Avenue, Columbus, GA 31901.